Saturday, September 27, 2008

On Getting Hit On The Bollocks

Those who've seen it happen would agree - there isn't a funnier sight in cricket when the wicketkeeper throws the ball back to the bowler, and the ball hits a well-placed pebble on the ground, changes its direction and hits the unsuspecting batsman straight on his bollocks.

It's funny as hell - until you get hit yourself.

I've played a bit of backyard cricket in my life. Rubber ball, heavy tennis ball, light tennis ball, cork ball, cricket ball, sponge ball, rolled-up newspaper ball ... I've knocked around all of them. And I've never, ever got hit on the box. Or, at least, never got hit bad enough to care.

Today, for the first time in my insignificant cricketing life, I got hit on the bollocks.

It felt like the end of the world.

Shyam was bowling. The tennis ball was heavier than usual, the kind that hits you hard on impact. The ball pitched around leg on a length, stayed low, took an inside edge and crashed into my unprotected groin.

In half a second, my mind registered what had happened. I fell on my knees clutching the bat with one hand, and my groin with the other.

I've known what pain is. The most painful experience I've had was when, as a 11-year-old, I fell from a three-foot-tall wall, fell on my left elbow and fractured it. I had felt breathlessness, nausea, dizziness, and above all, an incredible amount of pain.

Today, those memories came flooding back as I hobbled to a bench on the park. I felt like I was about to throw up and pass out at the same time. I had visions of Jeff Thomson hitting David Lloyd and turning his guard inside out. I feared I would lose my shot at fatherhood.

Next time when I see a batsman getting hit, I'll think twice before bursting into spontaneous laughter.



Never Leave Home Without One

2 comments:

Ritesh said...

it was a common joke in our camp...we'd tell the juniors that this was a portable oxygen mask...and almost all of em wud sniff it outta curiosity...gross joke...now that i think of it!!

The Not So Talkative Man said...

Ack! What kind of fumbducks were your juniors?